A Yam is a Yam

Yams! Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons.
I always thought the potato-like vegetable with bright orange flesh could be referred to as either a yam or a sweet potato. Although they are both tubers, they are different plants.

If you live in the United States, you're probably eating sweet potatoes, despite the labels at the grocery store.

Yams are rarely grown in the United States and are not readily available. Yams can grow to the size of a small child, according to one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks. Really!

The tubers are usually sold cut into manageable chunks. If you want to dine on a real yam, go to a Latino market and search for "name". It will likely be sold by the pound in shrink-wrapped packages to preserve the vegetable's moisture.

So, have you eaten real yams? I don't think I have!

Until Next Time,
Choose Healthy!

Angela Tague
Whole Foods Living

###

18 comments:

  1. Wow those are huge, sweet potatoes are what they sell in the stores! I've NEVER seen yams there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazyy little fact, isn't it? True yams are HUGE! ~Angela

      Delete
  2. Well I guess I haven't - that photo is amazing!! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that I have either Angela! I had no idea that a real yam was so much different than a sweet potato. Next time I go to the grocery store, I think I might tear down all the yam signs lol. Going to have to seek out some real ones and give them a try. Cool post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad I did a little research on this one! Fun facts! ~Angela

      Delete
  4. That picture is awesome!

    A note about yesterday's post: I believe Guar gum can be substituted for Xanthan gum and it's a lot cheaper. Also, Eve Berman has a cookbook called, "Culinary Potions" that has many gluten-free recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Joy! Thanks for the tips and cookbook suggestion. I'll have to check those out! I haven't baked with guar gum either, but I do see it listed in recipes too. Such a learning curve with GF baking! ~Angela

      Delete
  5. I guess I've never eaten a yam. Thanks for sharing the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have been to Mexico at least 10 times. I'm sure we have at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
    if you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
    happy day.
    a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. until now I thought yams and sweet potatoes were the same thing. lol

    also, flash fiction is easier to write than you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I had no idea! I probably haven't either!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or suggestion.